Tuesday, July 7, 2009

More About Me

I'm a member of The National Button Society, and I've been a button collector for many years. I collect antique picture buttons in every material from about the 1860s through the 1930s. Though I appreciate pearl, glass, vegetable ivory, pewter, wood, and celluloid, I am most drawn to antique picture buttons, made in one to three parts from various backgrounds and metals, particularly brass. Picture buttons are like holding a miniature sculpture, a piece of history in the palm of your hands.

My favorite clothing buttons include representations from the 1870s through the Art Nouveau era, when there was a nostalgia for all things medieval or mythological; and graceful women, innately strong and beautiful. As I photograph my extensive button collection, I will add posts, and when it is known, from my personal study or the button literature, I'll include popular titles, a history of the button, and information about the button's materials. I've also added links on the sidebar to sites about button collecting. Please feel free to comment on my posts and add to the discussion.


Image and Text © 2009 Anne AKA Once Upon A Button

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool, Annie. I didn't know there was a Button collecting society. What beautiful buttons! I can't add any knowledge to the discussion, but I'd love to ask questions if you don't mind. Where do you find your buttons? Antique shops? Goodwill stores?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,

    Rarely, I've found buttons at antique shows, but, fortunately or unfortunately, I went through an E-Bay buying frenzie for a period of about two years, ending about two years ago. I can now boast of a wonderful collection, focusing on picture subjects that interest me, and some I hope will also interest my son enough he'll never want to give them up (since I don't have a girl!). I've collected dragon, knight, castle, and heraldry buttons, along with art nouvea women, nature and birds. I also have an extensive Vegetable Ivory collection, and some black glass.

    I've found most of the antique shops have very few buttons, and when they do have "real" buttons (not ordinary plastic clothing buttons), they don't know much about them, and tend to ask exorbitant prices for common buttons or those in poor condition.

    The button sources I've listed in the sidebar would be a great place to start, to get an idea of the myriad of types of buttons. If you ever get interested in E-Bay purchasing, I can give you the names of some dealers I mostly trust.

    Also, you can ask friends and family if they or their older relatives have any old buttons they don't want. Buttons from the 1930s to the 1950s can be pretty fascinating, too. And sometimes you'll be surprised; they may have older buttons from an earlier generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting !!!
    See photrom.fr and romtop.blogspot.com
    Leave your comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happen to have this button and curiosity about it brought me to this site. I had a button collection as a little girl, in the 1950's. Found my buttons in mom's, grandmother's, aunts, friends & neighbors button boxes, basically only made notes as to the year & whose box I got them from. This is the only button that had a name.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments!