Sunday, October 4, 2009

King Arthur: Knight with Cut Steel Border

King Arthur
Knight Wearing a Helmet
Stamped and Pierced Brass
c1880s
NBS Large


King Arthur - Button Back


This detailed King Arthur wears a plumed helmet. He has a distinguished face. The button is one piece stamped and pierced brass. The fancy border is embellished with 14 faceted and riveted cut steels. I like the dark patina. Sadly, someone at some point, cut the button's shank, leaving the loop elongated and broken. I knew this when I purchased the button, so I was happy with the button find, since I've never seen another like it.

Image and Text © 2009 Anne AKA Once Upon A Button

2 comments:

  1. My sons received a metal detector for Christmas and have had a lot of fun digging up little treasures (bottle caps, quarters, etc.). They were most excited about a corroded and damaged button they found buried in our backyard this spring. I had my doubts about whether or not we'd ever find out what it was, but after several dead-end Google searches, we came upon your post. This is the button! The boys are thrilled to see what it originally looked like. Thank you so much for helping us identify it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the button, and the reference to it here! When I started collecting knights and other medieval theme buttons, I had my son in mind... The brass and cut steels and details make these buttons appealing for everyone, and your boys found a button about 130 years old!

      Delete

Please leave your comments!