Friday, August 28, 2009

Battle Knight on a Charging Horse: French White Metal Button

Knight on Horseback
Stamped and Pierced
French White Metal
c1940s
NBS Large, 1 1/2"
Knight on Horseback - Back


The charging knight wears full battle armor, right down to his spurs. The button is made of stamped and pierced French white metal. Note the surface detailing on the knight's armor and his shield, and on the horse's blanket. I enjoy the sense of motion in this button. As far as I know, it does not copy an earlier antique, and is a unique design, made in France in the 1940s. If anyone reading this post knows anything more about this button, or French white metal buttons in general, please add a comment. I know how to recognize one, and those I've purchased have been identified as French white metal, but I don't know much more about them.

Image and Text © 2009 Anne AKA Once Upon A Button

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!